The Sherwin-Williams project team is implementing the EPA-selected remedies for the Former Manufacturing Plant, United States Avenue Burn Site, Residential Properties, and Route 561 Dump Site units located in Gibbsboro and Voorhees.
United States Avenue Burn Site Unit
Remediation and restoration activities related to the United States Avenue Burn Site in Gibbsboro are underway. A contractor staging area has been established on the Borough-owned property at 60 Berlin Road.
- Remediation activities on the east side of United States Avenue are ongoing. The remediation work is expected to continue through the end of 2023.
- Restoration work, consisting of planting new vegetation and deer fencing, is progressing on both the east and west side of United States Avenue. This work will continue into 2024.
Perimeter air monitoring is being performed to ensure dust levels are within acceptable levels established under the perimeter air monitoring program approved by the USEPA.
Sherwin-Williams is initiating pre-design investigation activities to address contamination in Silver Lake, Bridgewood Lake, Kirkwood Lake and the Hilliards Creek floodplain. For more information on the Waterbodies unit and the EPA-approved remedy, visit the Waterbodies page.
- Pre-design and remedial design activities related to Silver Lake are ongoing.
- Pre-design activities related to Bridgewood Lake are ongoing.
- Pre-design and remedial design activities related to Kirkwood Lake are ongoing.
Former Manufacturing Plant (FMP) Soils Unit
Sherwin-Williams is performing pre-design investigation and remedial design activities to address soil and light non-aqueous phase liquid (LNAPL) contamination at the FMP. For more information on the FMP unit and the EPA-approved remedy, visit the FMP Soils page.
- Periodic field activities may occur within the Former Manufacturing Plant area in preparation for remediation that is expected to occur in early 2024.
Residential Properties Unit Update
Remediation and restoration activities are complete on all properties scheduled to be addressed under the Residential Properties unit.
- Periodic inspection and maintenance of newly planted vegetation in regulated areas on completed properties will be performed for a period of five years as required under the New Jersey DEP land use permits.
Route 561 Dump Site Unit
Remediation and restoration activities on all properties associated with the Route 561 Dump Site unit are complete.
- Periodic inspection and maintenance of newly planted vegetation in regulated areas will be performed over the next five years as required under the New Jersey DEP land use permit. Groundwater associated with this unit will be monitored for the next several years.