The Sherwin-Williams project team is implementing the EPA-selected remedies for the Former Manufacturing Plant, United States Avenue Burn Site, Residential Properties, and Route 561 Dump Site units located in Gibbsboro and Voorhees.
United States Avenue Burn Site Unit
Remediation and restoration activities related to the United States Avenue Burn Site in Gibbsboro are underway. A contractor staging area has been established on the Borough-owned property at 60 Berlin Road.
- Remediation activities on the west side of United States Avenue along the historic Lucaston railroad tracks are complete and restoration activities are underway. The Gibbsboro multi-purpose Green Trail has been restored and is open to the public.
- Remediation activities on the east side of United States Avenue are ongoing. The remediation and restoration work is expected to continue through the end of 2023.
Perimeter air monitoring is being performed to ensure dust levels are within acceptable levels established under the perimeter air monitoring program approved by the USEPA.
Sherwin-Williams is initiating pre-design investigation activities to address contamination in Silver Lake, Bridgewood Lake, Kirkwood Lake and the Hilliards Creek floodplain. For more information on the Waterbodies unit and the EPA-approved remedy, visit the Waterbodies page.
- Starting on Monday, September 25, 2023, the Sherwin-Williams project team will be performing pre-design investigation work in the Hilliards Creek floodplain, west of Democrat Way in Gibbsboro. The work will include access to the wetlands and floodplain areas, topographic and boundary survey work, and use of a drone. The work will take approximately 12 business days to complete. The actual schedule may vary depending on weather and other field conditions.
Former Manufacturing Plant (FMP) Soils Unit
Sherwin-Williams is performing pre-design investigation and remedial design activities to address soil and light non-aqueous phase liquid (LNAPL) contamination at the FMP. For more information on the FMP unit and the EPA-approved remedy, visit the FMP Soils page.
- The pre-design LNAPL field investigation, soil vapor extraction (SVE) pilot study, and bench-scale laboratory testing related to the planned bioremediation program are now substantially complete. The information gathered during the pre-design phase is being will be analyzed and will be incorporated into the final design of the LNAPL remediation program.
- Additional pre-design investigations related to historic soil contamination in the FMP areas began in 2022 and are substantially complete. The Sherwin-Williams team is preparing remedial design documents for the phased remediation of the FMP soils.
- The buildings located at the corner of Foster Avenue and United States Avenue, currently owned by Sherwin-Williams, have been demolished to facilitate investigation and remediation beneath the building foundation. The concrete foundations will remain in place following building demolition to allow for staging of the LNAPL remediation program.
Residential Properties Unit Update
Remediation and restoration activities are complete on all properties scheduled to be addressed under the Residential Properties unit.
- Periodic inspection and maintenance of newly planted vegetation in regulated areas on completed properties will be performed for a period of five years as required under the New Jersey DEP land use permits.
Route 561 Dump Site Unit
Remediation and restoration activities on all properties associated with the Route 561 Dump Site unit are complete.
- Periodic inspection and maintenance of newly planted vegetation in regulated areas will be performed over the next five years as required under the New Jersey DEP land use permit. Groundwater associated with this unit will be monitored for the next several years.